Monday, December 13, 2010

Merry Almost Christmas...some rambling thoughts

Well, the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas always flies with the extremely busy schedule for me at work (everybody wants to get in before the end of the year since they've met their insurance deductible, or the college students are home on long breaks, etc.), the traveling we do back and forth to Minnesota and the inevitable holiday bustle of shopping, baking, wrapping, decorating, tradition-keeping, and hoping to play in the snow, not to mention the daily routines of keeping the house clean and the laundry done. Despite all the craziness, it is still one of my favorite times of year. But for some reason this year has been more stressful and task-oriented; and because of that, it has really been laid on my heart how wonderful my memories of Christmases past are and how much I owe to my parents (and even my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins) for making it such a magical time of year. I only hope we can make such special memories for Riley and Conor over the years and keep the sense of wonder alive. Watching Conor inspect the nativity scene everyday and choosing books about Jesus' birth remind me how much I want to teach our kids the true meaning of Christmas. I am one of those people that listens to only Christmas music from the day after Thanksgiving until December 26th. But this year I have not felt that same urge, until ... I was excited to find a new all-Christmas radio station that doesn't play the same old overplayed secular songs 10 times a day. It is a Christian station that I had never stopped at on the radio dial before. The songs are sung by Christian artists, many are the classic Christmas hymns like The First Noel, Joy to the World, and Away in a Manger that again are reminding me of the real reason of Christmas. And as we are only a few days away from returning to Minnesota (and their 2 or 3 feet of snow), I am sensing that joy and anticipation return...the magic of Christmas is almost here.

No comments: