Tuesday, May 10, 2011

St Patrick's Day

Unlike our usual tradition of going downtown Chicago for the parade and green river, we changed it up this year to support Daddy as he ran his first 5K race in Naperville. It was freezing cold, we had to get up extra early, both kids were hungry, tired, and cold, so it was actually quite miserable. And in the rush to collect enough food, entertainment, and warm clothing, we were a little behind schedule getting out of the house early in the morning, which stressed Daddy out. Needless to say, though Daddy may run the race again, we will be supporting him from home next time!!...and he would prefer it that way as well.

As I juggled the stroller, the Baby Bjorn, 2 kids, snacks, drinks, blankets, mittens, hats, and a camera, I must have looked pretty frazzled and pathetic. I even had a little old lady ask me if I needed help. And just as they started singing the national anthem prior to the race, Conor (bundled up in layers of clothes and blankets, mind you) decides he has to go pee...and can't hold it until after the race starts. So we are hurrying down the street, dragging blankets and dropping mittens to rush to the port-a-potty. I have to keep the door open a little so I can keep an eye on the stroller with the camera and diaper bag with my wallet in it. I stand him on the ledge of the seat and tell him to just go. He can't see below his scarf and hat and feels a bit unsteady up on the ledge, so he wants to hold my hand. While leaning over to help get his pants down without dropping Riley out of the carrier, aiming for him because he has mittens on, I tell him to hold my arm and just trust me and go. I actually could have used that little old lady's help then :) Of course the hand sanitizer hanging from the port-a-potty wall is empty and I am not gonna get to the bottom of the diaper bag anytime soon, so skip that. We hurry out just in time to climb up the grass hill to see Adam round the first corner and wave...he, of course, has no clue the way we spent the previous 10 minutes. He did great in his race, and even finished ahead of his goal. We are so proud of you Daddy!!

Run Daddy Run (this is near the finish line and he passed this guy before the end!!)
Some friends who also ran the race
The family...one proud runner and his proud wife, with two cold, tired, hungry, crabby kids
All bundled up

On the 17th, we, of course, had corned beef and cabbage and we made green pudding for dessert!

No comments: