Friday, October 29, 2010

Home Entertainment System

Electronics stores and TV commercials advertise state-of-the-art Home Entertainment Systems, but we have the best one right here and he's only 3 years old.

I try to write down as many things as I can here in the blog as a way to remember them for years down the road as well as to share how much laughter and amazement we experience around here daily...
  • More funny pronunciations: strewdriver (screwdriver), banilla (vanilla), shtew (stew)
  • Adam and I do not really swear, but will occasionally let slip an "oh crap." It still surprises us, though, when Conor blurts out, "oh cracks!"
  • I was telling him something was for grownups (I don't remember if it was a TV show, or toothpaste, or whatever), but he said, "But Mom, I'm a little grown up."
  • One day he was particularly trying my patience and I told him, "You're driving me crazy." He responded in turn, "Well, you're driving me crazy."
  • He is not really taking naps much anymore, but he has to have a quiet time in his room everyday after lunch where he must stay in his bed and look at books quietly. He often makes a point to say he doesn't want to take a nap, but has also been using the excuse "but I'm tired" if he doesn't want to do something. I don't think he realizes what a contradiction this is. One day he even went to the point of changing into his pull-up and pajamas during quiet time because he was tired and so he didn't want to take a nap. Anyone want to help me decipher that logic?
  • He asked me if he could hold Riley one day, pointing out that he had already used the Santa Soap. It took me a moment to figure out he meant the hand sanitizer soap, like they taught him to use to wash his hands before holding the baby in his big brother class.
  • Last week, he must have been having bad dreams. He woke up several times at night and after the third time of me going into his room to help get him to calm down and go back to sleep, I finally just let him come in bed with us and he slept between Adam and I. He kept talking about the spiders and asked me if I could put the gate up or close the door so the spiders couldn't get in. When he finally fell back asleep, he woke up not long after screaming again. But this time he kept talking about the bees coming to get him. We got him to calm down, and told him to snuggle with Daddy and that Daddy would protect him. As Conor nuzzled into Adam's shoulder/armpit, he quickly rolled over and said, "Daddy, you're stinky!"
  • One day we happened to be driving past my obstetrician's office where he and Adam accompanied me to almost every prenatal visit. He said, "Mom, when we're done at the festival today, can we go there and get another baby?" As if that weren't shocking enough, I wanted to see where else this was going so I said, "You want another baby?" He said, "Yeah, I think another baby sister." I said, "You don't want a baby brother next time?" He said, "No, I think that would be too scary." I said, "You're scared of boys?" He said, "No, just baby boys. I think I just want a sister."
  • Conor saw a pen and was looking for something to write on. I couldn't find his usual notepad, so I grabbed piece of junk mail from the counter and let him start scribbling on the back of the envelope. When he finished, he said that he had written a letter to one of his little girlfriends, Madelyn. He told me exactly what he had "written": Madelyn, this is for you. I love you and can you please come to my house? And DEAR Madelyn, I love you. Then he turned the envelope over and noticed the GEICO logo (which I know he must just recognize, maybe from TV ads?, because I know he can't actually read the words yet and I didn't tell him) and out of nowhere he kind of mumbles a few times: Geico, fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. This kid is like a sponge!!
  • Tonight, I was modeling a little Halloween headband that has jack-o-lantern antenna type decorations sticking out the top of it. Conor thought it looked like a bunny. I started to talk to him about something, but he stopped me and said, "Hey, bunnies don't talk like that. They just hop around the woods all day. And they don't talk to Conors."
  • Our pediatrician's name is Dr. Dovidio. When we were in to see him a few months ago, we ran into one of Conor's old daycare teachers. So when we got home I told Conor to tell Daddy who we saw at the doctor's office. Rather than naming his teacher, or correctly naming the doctor, he immediately answered, "Dr. Picture"!

No comments: