Saturday, October 23, 2010

It's My Job

Conor has been a little difficult and standoffish towards Adam lately. He has not been listening well and has been starting to talk back. He always wants Mommy to put him to bed, or get him his dinner, or snuggle with him or read to him. Although I am convinced that it is because I am not home as much, Adam has been both a little hurt and a little frustrated by this since he spends so much time with him during the day and Conor seems to neither appreciate it nor mind Adam's direction and discipline at times.

I am on call this weekend so I was gone all morning, then Adam was out at the NIU football game all afternoon and evening. I will be gone again tomorrow morning while Adam gets the kids and himself ready for church, so tonight as I was getting Conor ready for bed, I tried to talk to him about love and respect and being kind and appreciative to Daddy, and how hard Daddy works to take such good care of him. We talked about it for a while and I asked Conor if he could try to be nice to Daddy and love him and not be naughty. He told me, "I can't do that, Mom." I asked him why and he said very emphatically, "It's my job." I asked, "What's your job?" "To be naughty, Mom," he answered oh so seriously. After stifling a giggle, I told him he had many jobs but that was not one of them. He asked what other jobs he had and we talked about picking up his toys and books, throwing out the recycling (his first chore!), helping take care of Riley when asked, and being a good brother and son. He seemed satisfied with that answer, but we'll have to see if the conversation about respect and listening actually sank in :)

No comments: