Monday, August 29, 2011

North Carolina, Part I: Blue Ridge Parkway

Friday afternoon, after Conor's birthday lunch, Adam and I set out on the road for North Carolina. We drove about 9 hours and stopped at a hotel, then drove 3 more hours in the morning. We drove around Asheville for the afternoon with our friend Mike and his friend Daniel. Then we headed off for the evening wedding. What a pretty setting...outside with the mountains in the background! Can you believe that I actually forgot to bring my camera to the wedding? I was so mad at myself. However, I was able to try to "steal" some pics from Facebook pages of other friends at the wedding. We were able to catch up with many friends I hadn't seen since graduating from college! Good times. Congrats to Allan and Rebecca and thanks for inviting us. On Sunday, we met up with a few friends for brunch. Then, Adam and Mike and Daniel and I headed up the Blue Ridge Parkway for a nice Sunday drive. We stopped off at Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi River, and did a little hiking and sightseeing. Adam and I hiked a little beyond the others and as it was getting late and dark we picked up the pace. What the sign said we should be able to make in 1 hr, we did in 26 minutes...and I'm not training for a marathon like Adam!! When we finished, we met back up with the others for dinner at a restaurant partway up the mountains, and watched clouds float by the floor-to-ceiling windows while we ate good old Southern food...barbecued pork, cornbread, sweet tea, and fried okra, among other things.
You can really see why they're called the Blue Ridge Mountains!!

No comments: